Monday, February 2, 2015

Giving New Life to Some Old Stamp Sets

Hi again!

Yesterday I created a 2 x 2 box using a retired Stampin' Up!® set called Delight in Life.  If you haven't read it, you can here.

There's so many great new sets available from umpteen different companies, but there's nothing wrong with dusting off an older one, and bringing it back to life with new energy.

Since we were the lucky recipients of about 35 cm of snow overnight, schools were closed and so I spent the day at home coming up with a few new cards using some "new to me" sets.  I'll include the measurements for the elements in the card at the end.


A great way to get your hands on older or retired sets is to search places online like Kijiji.  Another fantastic resource for everything paper and ink is splitcoaststampers.com .  This is a great resource and web-based community for people who are arty-fartsy.  You'll find not only card making, but pretty much anything having to do with paper.  There's also a great forum for selling and trading retired stamps and other materials!

I recently bought three sets of retired stamps from a great girl on this website, and made a new friend in the process.  (Just an added bonus!)

One of the sets I bought from her is Loads of Love and the accompanying accessories.  This is such a fun set, and has endless possibilities.  Of course, being me, as soon as I got my hands on it, the ideas started flying and this is what I came up with!



This is a really neat shaker card, and I'll definitely be making more of these.  There were all sorts of different techniques involved in this one, from Copics, to heat embossing, stamping of course, and ink blending.  They're fun to plan and to make.  I have some ideas for a video for this, so stay tuned.

Speaking of videos, thanks to Mother Nature, I had time today to sit down and try my hand at making a video.  If something could go wrong, it absolutely did, but I struggled through and I'm almost done.  At one point I forgot to turn the camera on, it wasn't focused, I ran out of adhesive, dropped an ink pad...  Yup, you name it, it happened.  But,  I'm excited (and yes, just a bit nervous) to start adding videos.  Come back to check it out!

Thanks for reading!
Beth

_____________________________________________

Where can you find me?


My Stampin' Up!® Website
Facebook

Measurements for Three Layer Cards

Card base: 5-1/2 x 8-1/2", scored at 4-1/4"
White Card Stock - 4 x 5-1/4", 3 x 4-1/4", 2 x 3-1/4"
Coloured Card Stock - 3-1/4 x 4-1/2", 2-1/4 x 3-1/2"

Have fun!




4 comments:

  1. Great cards and sorry that Murphy's law got involved in your video making.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Crystal! Murphy is always lurking about. The trick is to beat him at his own game! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog posts with lots of pictures of How you make your cards. I have another blogging friend who is also using older sets in new ways (hers are mostly CAS) and she is doing it each week on Fridays. I should really join you two- I have so many sets used once and sitting lonely on a shelf....... I have not tried making a video, but would be just like your description above- I am sure you will get the hang of it quickly and look forward to seeing what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelly, it was definitely an experience but I survived! I'm still trying to figure out a few things but it's getting there. I hope you'll com back and check it out, and hey - if I can do it, you can do it!

      Delete